Monday, April 25, 2011

Chapter 6

There Officer Johnson stood there with a serious look on his face. "Where the hell you been?" My auntie shouted as she jumped up from the couch. She's been with me Karen politely responded. And you are? My auntie asked with an attitude. Ma'am you've been convicted of kidnapping a minor Officer Johnson interrupted. What! Karen shouted as Officer Johnson put the hand cuffs on Karen's wrist. I didn't kidnap her, my daughter and her are friends ask her Karen said innocently looking at me. Starr do you know this lady? Officer Johnson asked. I looked confused and scared at the same time. I was so paranoid I didn't know what to say. Starr! Officer Johnson called and asked again looking serious. N-no I stuttered replying to his question. Karen hurtfully looked at me as Officer Johnson put her in the back of the police car. I stared at the police car as Officer Johnson pulled off while Officer Mooch took Karen's daughter into another car. I felt bad for Karen but I felt even worse for Karen's little girl. Get yo ass in this house Auntie Crystal yelled at me. I walked straight to my room. Get yo ass in here Auntie Crystal yelled at me again. Now I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you but... "What” I said rolling my eyes as I took a seat on the couch rudely interrupting her bitchin. Look hoe you need to stop acting like you’re grown and stay in a child's place Auntie Crystal demanded. I am grown I mumbled. Please, you don't pay a bill in here she yelled. Tsss and you don't either! I snapped back. Don't try to talk to me when you have all these broke ass niggas running in and out of here like this the fuckin coochie shop I told her. Excuse me Crystal said looking shocked. Let's get this all out you don't clean a dish in here , sweep , mop , nothing I cook , clean , wash , and take care of MYSELF! I am GROWN! I stood up and yelled. Oh please you think because you have an ass and tities you’re grown? Crystal asked. You think that just because you're 16 you can do whatever? You think just because you’ve finally reached yo period that you the shit huh? Lemme tell you something you aint shit! Crystal yelled. And you don't run shit but ya mouth she said again. No you aint shit but a hoe I angrily shouted. You slept with more than 10 niggas this past month. What I do is my business Crystal interrupted me. I knew I should have let them take you to foster care. Dam Starr every fucking thing I do is to help yo ass! I'm busting my ass for you! Working two jobs for you! But nawl you like ya mama don't appreciate shit. You don't do shit for no one but yourself I replied. STOP! Crystal yelled and slapped me across my face. I’m bout sick of people hitting me. I turned around and snaked her. She choked me up and threw me out the house. Get out! Crystal yelled. Take care of yourself and don't come back! I sat there on the steps and thought about where I was going to go. Then I just started walking to KiKi house. Who is it KiKi yelled from the other side of the door. Me I replied. OMG what happened KiKi quickly asked when she opened the door. I need a place to stay for a while. Come in KiKi said closing the door behind me. She gave an ice pack to put on my swollen face. I didn't really feel like explaining to KiKi everything that happened so I just told her "DRAMA". The phone rang so KiKi stepped out. Yea she's sitting right here KiKi said to the unknown person on the phone as she walked into the room. Who is that I mouthed to her? Dru she said handing me the phone. No I whispered back pushing the phone back to her. Take a message I said again. Take the phone she said putting it to me ear. H-hello I annoyingly answered. Yo come outside Dru demanded. Dru I'm tired I really can't. Just come to the park real quick now he said with an attitude. Alright I said hanging up the phone. I quickly put on my shoes and one of KiKi jackets I'll be back I sighed. Slowly walking to the park I thought about what Dru wanted. I mean he made it clear the other day he didn't want to be around me what's so different now. When I arrived at the park he was nowhere to be found. I sat on the bench for damnly 2 hours when he finally showed up. Yo wtf why you have me waiting I asked. Shut the fuck up girl I was busy Dru responded. Let's take a walk he said. As we walked down the block about 3 times, I listen to Dru apologize and how much he said he cared about the baby and stuff. I knew he would come around. I was happy to hear all this. Bae I love you Dru said looking into my eyes. I love you too blushing. He kissed my cheek and then my lips. His lips were warm and smooth. I felt safe again. It's like the old times. Want me to walk you home he asked. Actually I'm staying at KiKi's for the night. Yo auntie not at the house we at yo crib he said. No she is I responded. We got into a fight and she kicked me out. Dam she'll let you back in Dru said laughing. It's not funny I looked seriously. I'm just playing he said smiling. I haven't seen him smile in days! Probably months! It was awkward almost but good. You should stay at my crib Dru suggested. Nahh, KiKi's mom is expecting me anyway. C'mon just for one night he begged. Alright I finally agreed. We walked to his house in the dark. Dru doesn't really have a big house plus it’s only him and his grandma and she never leaves her room! Not for anything or anybody, she'll sit right there in that chair next to the window and just watch. It's creepy almost. Dru is that you his grand-ma yelled from the dark room. Yes granny he replied. You have company she then replied. Yea it’s just Starr he said back. Hi granny I shouted but she didn't reply. She never replies. We walked into Dru's room and he gave me some of his basketball shorts and a t-shirt to put on. I got into his bed and laid down. Goodnight he said as he kissed my forehead. Where you going I asked. I have to go meet Spook he said. I thought you stop working for him I asked again. I did but we gatta take of this baby somehow Dru replied sounding worried. Look I just need to make a few dollars to hold us up then I can try to find a job he said again. Alright I said taking a deep breath. Night bae he said again. Be careful I said as he walked off. Love you I yelled back but he had already shut the door. The night was cold. I was worried about Dru being on the streets again. I remember the day they hauled him in the back of the ambulance because he got shot. I was hurt as hell. I thought I was going to lose him but I didn't. I don't want him to go down that road again. Even though Dru isn’t the best boyfriend I know he cares and he’s just going through a lot right. That’s why I know he’ll be a good father. It took me an hour to actually fall asleep however the night was full of tosses and turns.  I woke up to emptiness on the other side of the bed. I got up and walked to the bathroom where I threw up. I have that class today but I don’t think I’m going to go. Fuck that institution I thought. I mean it’s not like they’re gonna come and drag me there. I looked around house for Dru but I didn’t see him. Dru I yelled but no answer. Chile stop yelling his grand-ma yelled to me. I walked to her door. Dru not here she then said. Do you know where he went I asked? There was a long awkward silence.  Chile he’s gone you might as well go home she finally responded. Where did he go I kept asking? That’s what wrongs with you children now days you just stupid granny said. Excuse me I asked? Chile Dru is gone go home don’t come back she kept saying. I walked back into his room and put my clothes on. Bye granny I said. Come here chile she said. I walked to her door. Yes I responded. Come in she demanded. There she sat knitting with grey hair and hell of wrinkles old as dust. I had never seen her before and I’ve probably been over here 100 times. Sit down let me get you something to eat she offered. No thank you I’m not hungry I politely replied. Chile please who you lying to? Sit down she said again. I quickly sat down because I refused to argue with her. She got her cane and walked to the kitchen. I have never ever seen her get out that chair I was shocked. She came back with a plate full of fruit with some toast with jelly scattered on it. I looked at the plate and slowly ate. Eat up you feeding for two she said sitting back down in her old crusty chair. The toast fell out my mouth as my jaw dropped. I don’t know what you’re talking about I said picking up a piece of fruit. Chile I wasn’t born yesterday I know you’re pregnant. How’d you know that I curiously asked? Well first of all you gained weight since the last time you were over here and second of all you were throwing this morning wasn’t you granny asked? I didn’t answer because I was too embarrassed. Yea see chile I see and hear everything through that window she said pointing to the glass window in her room. Everything I nervously asked? Everything she said shaking her head. You kids these days are just ridicules she kept saying. You go out here and you have sex with these pissy tail boys and you get pregnant at young ages and have all types of diseases just disgusting she nagged. Now you, Chile ya just stupid she told me. I looked at her funny. Yes I said ya stupid and you know why she asked? I shook my head no. You are sitting up here running around letting these boys control like you don’t have a mind for yourself. Now I feel sorry for that baby she kept shaking her head in disgust. That baby won’t have stable parents because you’re too young to even take care of yourself. Yall don’t have any sense to even know what it takes or how it feels to take care of a baby. She paused and then spoke again. Having kids is a job not some trophy you walk around showing off she said. Well thanks for the breakfast but I have to go now I interrupted her. I got up and sat the plate on the dresser. Goodbye I said. She looked at me and then said “Go get boy from that girl house”. What boy I asked? That boy she said and pointed to the window but no one was out there. Okay I said just walking out the door. I really think that lady is crazy. I walked out the building and spotted Dru walking out of Amber’s house. I was heated.  Suddenly I felt the anger coming and I was ready to beat her ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment